Heirloom Fibrecraft selects textiles with environmental certification standards.These include ISO 14001 standard which demonstrates an organisation’s commitment to the environment through the continued analysis of its environmental impact and the implementation of practices which will reduce this.
Our supplier, James Dunlop explains ISO 14001 as follows:
The ISO 14001 standard is a management tool which assists our suppliers in identifying which of their products, activities, or services have a harmful impact on the environment. This standard specifies a process to control and continuously improve their environmental performance and guides the implementation of an Environmental Management System which will aid in setting and achieving environmental objectives and targets, rather than specifying these performance criteria directly.
What are the benefits of an ISO 14001 Environmental Management System?
- The collective environmental footprint of resource consumption and waste production is reduced.
- The collective risk of pollution incidents is controlled and decreased.
- Operating systems are continuously improved as environmental commitments, policy requirements, and social responsibilities are met.
- Environmental knowledge is retained and communicated effectively.
What are the requirements of an ISO 14001 Environmental Management System?
- The development of an environmental policy that reflects an organisation’s commitments and establishes environmental objectives, targets, and programs.
- Appropriate training is given, and strategies are developed to ensure environmental targets are met.
- Continuous monitoring, measurement, and reviewing of the organisation’s progress to achieve its environmental objectives is carried out by internal auditing and management.
The ISO 14001 standard defines the process in which an organisation should control and continue to improve their environmental performance. The management tool assists organisations with identifying any activities or services they could be conducting that has a harmful impact on the environment. A number of our suppliers’ have their ISO 14001 certification. This means that in manufacturing their products the organisation is meeting their environmental objectives and analysing their impact.