2021 Environmental Policy
In preparing the following content, we acknowledge there are countless impacts each of us, both consciously and unconsciously, have on our environment. Through both our personal and business choices. Heirloom Fibrecraft's environmental policy is committed to what is understood as being the most critical issues at this time.
OMISSION OF PLASTIC
- Any food purchased will only be bought in 100% biodegradable packaging, or glass / cardboard containers.
- Suppliers and producers of food products are being contacted and advised that we will no longer continue purchasing their product unless it is packaged in above mentioned options.
- Any future orders to Heirloom Fibrecraft’s business and furnishings suppliers will only be authorised when the supplier confirms the use of 100% non-plastic, biodegradable, recyclable and/or plant-based packaging. Our suppliers are encouraged to create and pursue their own environmental manufacturing policies sharing our ethos.
- All postage and freight items are to be packaged in non-plastic packaging (in particular, ‘Express Post’ satchels are a discontinued postage option).
- Wrapping and packaging used within our retail premises will continue to be paper based and 100% bio-degradable or recyclable.
- Research list of biodegradable packaging suppliers
REDUCING GLOBAL CARBON EMISSIONS
- We note the global carbon emissions target and Australia's failure to achieve our targets on 2000 emissions. Our current government has not implemented an effective climate policy - gas & coal led recovery instead of green recovery - SEE https://climateactiontracker.org/countries/australia and European Commission 2030 TARGETS - https://ec.europa.eu/clima/policies/strategies/2030
- Each of our business suppliers must demonstrate a commitment to sustainable production and publish an Environmental Policy.
- Energy efficient lights and globes are used in our domestic and commercial premises. Ongoing connection via Green Energy suppliers are implemented for each premises.
- Simple energy use practices such as turning off power points when not in use.
- Disposing of electrical and technology devises through recycling centres. For locally approved centres on the Northern Beaches residents – visit - https://www.northernbeaches.nsw.gov.au/services/rubbish-and-recycling/ewaste
- Freight of furniture is by sea (a much lower carbon footprint than air). Airfreight used for other products remains dependent on the policies of our courier companies (which are to be researched for best practice environmental policy).
- Our removalists, including Smart Moves, publicise and commit to their own Environmental Policy.
- Our business vehicle is a Toyota Prius, an electric hybrid.
- At home, large and small native tree and plant species have been re-introduced for fauna support. Our vegetarian diet, reflects our concerns for the impacts of meat consumption on the environment and the cruel practice of animal farming within agribusiness.
- Ongoing revisions continue in our carbon reduction plan.
Heirloom Fibrecraft contributes a percentage of profits to animal organisations that need everyone’s help. These organisations include:
LIFESTYLE SUPPLIERS FOCUSED ON PACKAGING ALTERNATIVES
- Scoop Wholefoods - https://scoopwholefoods.com.au/
- Dingo biodegradable coffee pods available from Ecocaffe - https://www.ecocaffe.com.au/the-ecocaffe-coffee-menu/