Our Environmental Policy 2023
In preparing the following content, we acknowledge there are countless impacts each of us have on our environment, both consciously and unconsciously. Heirloom Fibrecraft's environmental policy is committed to what is understood as being the most critical issues at this time.
OMISSION OF PLASTIC
- We use 100% biodegradable packaging.
- Heirloom Fibrecraft challenges our business suppliers in using only genuinely fully recyclable or biodegradable packaging. At times, we still experience some challenges with suppliers who refuse to use ethical packaging. We continue to pursue them to change.
- All postage and freight items are to be packaged in non-plastic packaging (in particular, ‘Express Post’ satchels are a discontinued postage option).
- Please feel free to refer to this research list of biodegradable packaging suppliers
REDUCING GLOBAL CARBON EMISSIONS
- We note the global carbon emissions target and Australia's failure to achieve our targets on 2000 emissions. Our current government has not implemented an effective climate policy - gas & coal led recovery instead of green recovery - SEE https://climateactiontracker.org/countries/australia and European Commission 2030 TARGETS
- Each of our business suppliers must demonstrate a commitment to sustainable production and publish an Environmental Policy.
- Energy efficient lights and globes are used in our commercial premises.
- We are fortunate to have installed a solar grid for our residence and home offices.
- Disposing of electrical and technology devises through recycling centres. For locally approved centres on the Northern Beaches residents – visit - https://www.northernbeaches.nsw.gov.au/services/rubbish-and-recycling/ewaste
- Freight of furniture is by sea (a much lower carbon footprint than air). Airfreight used for other products remains dependent on the policies of our courier companies (which are to be researched for best practice environmental policy).
- Our removalists, including Smart Moves, publish and commit to their own Environmental Policy.
- Our business vehicle is a Toyota Prius, an electric hybrid.
- At home, large and small native tree and plant species have been re-introduced for fauna support. We are striving for a vegetarian diet, that reflects our concerns for the impacts of meat consumption on the environment and the cruel practice of animal farming within agribusiness.
- Ongoing revisions continue in our carbon reduction plan.
Heirloom Fibrecraft contributes a percentage of profits to environmental and animal welfare organisations which include:
LIFESTYLE SUPPLIERS FOCUSED ON PACKAGING ALTERNATIVES
- Scoop Wholefoods - https://scoopwholefoods.com.au/
- Dingo biodegradable coffee pods available from Ecocaffe - https://www.ecocaffe.com.au/the-ecocaffe-coffee-menu/